Guild seeks nominations for leadership
Oct. 14, 2016 — Who runs The Buffalo Newspaper Guild? A lot of us, and you could be one of them.
In November, The Buffalo Newspaper Guild will begin the process of selecting members to serve in all positions of leadership for three-year terms. Any member in good standing with a commitment to serving the best interests of the organization may be nominated.
Good leadership is at the heart of our long-term future. We strongly encourage interested members to think about how they might play a role in improving the workplace and securing the future for all of us who work at The News. Training will be provided for those who need it.
The positions up for nomination include:
- President: The union’s CEO who presides over all officers, committee chairs and general membership meetings, and serves as a spokesperson and representative of the Guild to The News and to outside organizations.
- Vice President of Mobilization and Communication: Coordinates membership education and communication, oversees the website and Frontier Reporter and heads the Mobilization Committee responsible for coordinating Guild activities, events and workplace actions.
- Vice President for Contract Administration and Enforcement: Works with internal and external union staff, legal counsel and committee members to research and act on complaints, disputes and grievances regarding contract compliance. Heads the Grievance Committee.
- Secretary: Custodian of the union’s non-financial records who handles union correspondence, keeps track of union actions that set policy and handles all Executive Committee and General Membership Meeting minutes.
- Treasurer: Custodian of all of the union’s funds, under the direction of the Executive Committee and Finance Committee, beyond routine expenses. Provides regular reports of the Guild’s finances, helps prepare the budget and keeps up-to-date membership records and dues.
- Chief Steward: Chief steward/s are nominated and chosen by their own department members. They serve as representatives of the Guild with rank-and-file members, and as intermediaries with management and union leadership. They also serve on the Executive Committee, along with officers and other Executive Committee members.
- Executive Committee Members: These are Guild members who do not hold one of the above positions, but serve on the Executive Committee to help set policy and direction for the organization. The number of members from each department is based on department size.
Anyone with an interest in serving in any of these positions should make his or her interest known to a Guild officer, department steward or to Guild Administrative Officer Kim Leiser. Kim may be reached at 856-2828 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are currently known vacancies coming up for president, as well as a few executive committee spots. But other spots are likely to open, and we encourage any member with the commitment and desire to contribute to apply for any listed position.
All officers, stewards and committee members are expected to attend Executive Committee meetings once a month and to participate in the decision-making process during negotiations.
Nominations for the above positions will be made at a special general membership meeting in November at a date to be announced. If there are more candidates than positions for any office, an election will be held in December by secret ballot. For a list of those serving now, visit www.buffaloguild.org/contacts. Terms run from Jan. 1, 2017 to Dec. 31, 2020.